web statistics

Cops testing SALIVA from bite marks that riddled dead Magaluf tourist Michael Grant as mystery of his last hours deepens

SALIVA samples have been taken from bite marks found on the body of a tourist who died in Magaluf to determine who – or what – inflicted them.

Cops in the Spanish resort have been left baffled by the death of dad-of-four Michael Grant, who was found unresponsive on the street.

a man wearing sunglasses stands in front of a stadium with the number 113 on it
Michael Grant, 45, died in Magaluf
a man in a suit and tie poses for a picture with two girls

The dad was on holiday with his family at the time[/caption]

a police car is parked in front of a take away restaurant

He was found unresponsive in the street near Punta Ballena strip[/caption]

The 45-year-old had spent the day drinking by hit hotel pool at the four-star Sol Katmandu Park and Resort before going out partying.

Youth football coach Michael – who was on holiday with his wife Leanne, their children, and other families – became disorientated and separated from his group.

He was then found unresponsive near Magaluf’s notorious Punta Ballena strip at about 4.30am on Monday.

Police initially believed the Irish holidaymaker suffered a heart attack, but a pre-autopsy examination found two bite marks – one on his shoulder and one on his chest.

Michael also had knee and leg injuries, believed to have been caused when he was hit by a car, as well as scratches and a cut on his back with glass inside.

Investigators fear he may have been attacked and hit by a car before he died.

But a post-mortem has ruled he was not killed by a “hit and run” driver.

Medical examiners have found no evidence pointing to Michael’s death being related to the injuries police believe he suffered when he was knocked over by a car.

Autopsy results also revealed the physiotherapist from Waterford had taken cocaine and drunk alcohol before he died.

Further tests are now taking place at a specialist lab in Barcelona to determine whether cocaine contributed to his death.

Despite finding no apparent link between a suspected traffic accident and his death, the case remains a mystery.

It is understood swabs of saliva samples have now been taken from the bite marks on Michael’s body to find out whether they were inflicted during an assault.

Detectives are also still analysing CCTV footage from cameras in the area for clues.

Michael collapsed in Martin Ros Street at around 4.30am on Monday.

He is said to have become disorientated and taken a wrong turn after spending the afternoon drinking by his hotel pool before going out partying.

A source close to the investigation said: “The injuries the holidaymaker had were not life-threatening and this investigation is neither a murder or homicide probe at this stage, nor do we expect it to become one.

“But we are looking into the hours leading up to his death because something has happened that needs to be properly explained.


“Everything is pointing to this man being involved in some sort of altercation and being hit by a car in incidents that may or may not be unrelated.

“There are still a lot of unanswered questions we need to try to get to the bottom of.”

Michael was part of a group of families staying at the four-star Sol Katmandu Park and Resort in Magaluf, which describes itself online as a popular hotel for families with young children.

He has been hailed as a “dear friend” in an emotional tribute shared by St Joseph’s AFC Waterford football club, where Michael was a coach.

It said: “As many of you know, Michael was more than just a coach to us – he was a beloved friend and as a club and for his family we need time to process this devastating loss.

“Michael was an integral part of our community, and his absence will be profoundly felt. 

“He was not just a coach but a mentor and a friend to all the children and adult members at St Joseph’s.

“More recently his dedication, passion, and love for the kids were evident in everything he did. 

“He cherished every one of them, and I’m sure you will all agree that his impact was immeasurable.

“Michael, sleep well, dear friend. You will be missed forever, but your legacy and the love you shared will never be forgotten and will always live on in our club.”

Dozens of people have also shared their condolences, calling Michael’s death “incredibly sad”.

One well-wisher said: “Sincere sympathy to Michael’s family and all his friends and clubmates in St Joseph’s FC. Michael was a fantastic friend who made you feel good after chatting to him.

“He will be sadly missed by all.”

Another wrote: “RIP pal, the laughs and messing we did in and out of school will never be forgotten.

“Thoughts are with your family at this difficult time. You will be missed but not forgotten.”

two men and a boy holding a plaque that says ' o'neill ' on it
St Josephs AFC paid tribute to Michael
a man in a suit and tie with a badge on his jacket
Noel Browne Photographer

Michael was on holiday with his wife and children as well as other families[/caption]

About admin